Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
WillisC

US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 24mm 1.4G"

WillisC Registered since 11th Jan 2012
Sun 17-Feb-13 04:58 PM

Claude,
I wish I could comply quickly to your request for photos. However, I only recently purchased this lens used in a situation similar to Stan's in the #4 reply above. I live within the Denver metro area, so serious skyscapes require a planned trip to avoid city lights. My Aurora Borealis trip happens in mid-March to Fairbanks, so the results from that are also in the future. I do not own another Nikon 24mm prime to compare it with, but I do have a Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 zoom that I could shoot wide open. Again, that really would not be the comparison you are looking for, but I will likely do one just for my own curiosity.

My decision was heavily influenced by Roger N. Clark. We both belong to the same camera club, the Mile High Wildlife Photography Club http://www.mhwpc.org and I have been impressed with his work. See a particularly inspiring article on Roger's site at http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/index.html. His favorite lens is a 24mm f1.4, (but his gear is Canon). Ken Rockwell's review of this Nikkor lens includes a very nice star field image under the Coma section half-way through the review. You can click for an enlarged view that shows the coma very well. He rates the lens very highly and has some lens comparisons at the end of the review. I hope this helps you a bit.

So, at this point, my starfield examples are still in the future. I will post when I have something to offer.
Thanks,
Willis

A general, generic topic 24mm 1.4G [View all] , claude_dumas Silver Member , Wed 13-Feb-13 01:05 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 24mm 1.4G