Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 24mm 1.4G"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 13-Feb-13 08:20 PM

I got the lens used because the original owner never could figure out what was so special about it after the salesman talked him into it. Lucky me.
It is really nice but in all practical considerations it is a 1 trick pony. The only reason to buy it is f/1.4. If you shoot any other aperture, there are a number of lenses that do as well.
I use it on a D7000 and D800. On Dx it is a fast general purpose street lens that exhibits minimal distortion so is good for groups of people closer in than you woud dare with lesser lenses.
On the D800, wide open, it becomes a whole different way of seeing the world, it just has a look that is either captivating or unimpressive, depending on ones tastes. For me, I love the look and perspective, the color and narrow DOF 1.4 provides. Stopped down however and it is about the same as a 14-24 at 24, for about $500 less. That is not a slight, the 14-24 is the best wide lens available in F mount, prime or zoom with a possible toss-up with the Zeiss 21mm prime. That is amazing for any zoom to be the standard lens to beat even for fast primes.
My suggestion for anyone thinking of buying a 24, to rent if for a weekend and don't take it off the camera the whole time, open it up and shoot mundane things from unusual angles, or anything that gets in front of it and see if it doesn't knock their socks off. Everything just looks more interesting and fresh and if that perspective is preferred by the potential buyer, this lens is the only one that will give it. For traditional landscape there are better choices.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic 24mm 1.4G [View all] , claude_dumas Silver Member , Wed 13-Feb-13 01:05 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 24mm 1.4G