Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

USA vs Gray Lenses

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: USA vs Gray Lenses"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Thu 14-Feb-13 11:41 AM | edited Thu 14-Feb-13 11:45 AM by agitater

>I am a Canadian, on a long term contract in Switzerland. I
>have purchased Nikon equipment in Switzerland and plan to
>return with it at the end of my contract (before the warranty
>expires). Before purchasing, I inquired of Nikon Canada and
>was informed that on my return I will have no warranty
>coverage. I should go back to Switzerland where I bought the
>equipment. This is in no way grey market, but Nikon Canada
>still says that I will be SOL.

Nikon Canada essentially read the response right out of their complicated little internal rulebook I guess. The international warranty (as with international warranties provides by other companies I think too) are based on providing service for a consumer whose product has been purchased in his home country or home region. It's apparently the origin point of the purchase that matters. Nikon seems to go to great lengths to protect the territories of its regional distributors.

There are quite a number of Canadians working under medium and long-term contracts in other countries, no doubt, but I think your situation is relatively uncommon - at least in terms of potential warranty service needs at Nikon. So I think that a short letter to the service manager at Nikon Canada will create an exception, the point being to emphasize that you are effectively an actual temporary resident of Switzerland while under long-term contract - not just a casual tourist - and that as a long-time Nikon user as well your warranty coverage should remain whole when you return to Canada.

The alternative, if Nikon Canada remained stubborn in the event you actually need warranty service sometime in the future, is to avoid the effort involved in all of the foregoing and simply walk up to the Nikon Canada service counter with the problem item and declare it be the wonderful gift you received from good old Uncle Joe in Zurich (or wherever).

You have described a product ownership situation in which companies such as Nikon can step up to build stronger customer relations and loyalty. I think Nikon will do so should you ever have a problem after you return to Canada. I would have hoped that Nikon Canada could have provided a positive response when you inquired though. The response you described certainly doesn't inspire confidence. Your situation is uncommon enough for Nikon to take the opportunity to declare (to you, at least) that any legitimately purchased Nikon product will be taken care of and offer thanks to you for being a good customer. It's not like there are immense hordes of Canadian nationals working in other countries who'll suddenly return to Canada with planeloads of Nikon gear all needing emergency uber-rush warranty service on Tuesday.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! USA vs Gray Lenses [View all] , pappap , Tue 12-Feb-13 12:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: USA vs Gray Lenses