Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

USA vs Gray Lenses

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: USA vs Gray Lenses"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:38 PM

>My view
>is that such a policy negatively impacts people who did not
>purchase new gray market lenses, those for instance that just
>move to the USA from another country with their equipment.

That's not a grey market situation. If, as a Canadian citizen and resident, I purchase a Nikon product from a Canadian authorized dealer, I can then move anywhere in the world with that Nikon gear (including merely on vacation) and obtain full warranty service from Nikon wherever I happen to be. The situation is fully covered by Nikon's Worldwide Warranty. If someone who lives in Germany purchases a Nikon camera or lens, and then moves to Canada or takes a holiday in Canada and then has a camera or lens problem during his stay, Nikon Canada will service the products under the terms of the Nikon Worldwide Warranty. And so on.

>As I stated, this does not appear to be the policy (at least
>in practice) here in Canada.

Nikon Canada does not knowingly service grey market products. Obviously it's possible for the service counter to inadvertently do intake on a grey market product. I slipped a French D200 body by them a number of years ago. Didn't work with a faulty 12-24 purchased in the UK though. I had the 12-24 serviced by Nikon UK a few months later when I returned to London.

As well, if someone walks up to the service counter in Mississauga and declares that their apparently D7000 was received as a gift, most of the time the photographer won't get an argument. Canon and Nikon warranties explicity mention the validity of gifts, and also recognize that gifts can come from anywhere outside the national distribution region in which service is being requested.

>Apparently Canon USA will service equipment from anywhere as
>long as it was sold by an official reseller regardless of gray
>market status.

Official Canon policy, which the company can enforce at any time, does not support anything it deems to be a grey market product. However, Canon's practice in the Canada and the U.S. has been to provide service for most (but not all - it seems somewhat random) grey market products as long as the product owner can produce a purchase invoice or gift receipt issued by an authorized Canadian or U.S. Canon merchant. However, service counter staff obviously make exceptions or mistakes, and it's also just as likely that there may be just as many stories of service denials as there are of service acceptances.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! USA vs Gray Lenses [View all] , pappap , Tue 12-Feb-13 12:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: USA vs Gray Lenses