Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ideal lens for Airshows?

nzyme

Te Anau, NZ
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ideal lens for Airshows?"

nzyme Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2010
Wed 06-Feb-13 02:28 AM

Hi Dugga:
I have not shot very many airshows but if you check my gallery you will see some recent shots (as shot, no cropping, no editing - apart from shrinking to upload here). For most shots that day I used my D300s with Sigma 150-500mm OS lens, and my D200 with 80-200 2.8 lens. The Mosquito shots were taken as the plane whizzed by at 300mph.
My D200 has now been upgraded to a D600 which complicates things a bit. I now have to use my AF-S 70-300VR sometimes on the D600.
Like most here, I wish that Nikon would upgrade the AF 80-400 VR with something like an AF-S 80-400mm F4 VR - although I might not like the cost?
So, to answer your question... your 70-200 with TC would be a good choice, but I would not hesitate to recommend either the Bigma or the Sigma 150-500 (less expensive than the Bigma and almost as good IMHO) as a long reach option.

Good luck.

Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Ideal lens for Airshows? [View all] , dugga , Tue 05-Feb-13 02:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ideal lens for Airshows?