Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is this an upgrade?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is this an upgrade?"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 08-Jan-13 01:52 PM

I have the the 80-200/2.8 AFS. I also have the 80-200/2.8 AFD two ring. I have never used either version of the 70-200/2.8 AFS VR.

I've used both my 80-200s for a lot of landscape, other nature, college ice hockey and high school football. I've done this with both DX (D300) and FX (D4 & D800e). The landscape and other nature work has been almost completely from a tripod in the middle aperture ranges. The sports shots have been handheld or from a monopod wide open with shutter speeds of 1/500 or faster.

I've found the AFS 80-200 is slightly sharper than the non AFS version. The 80-200 AFS gives me very sharp landscape images from the D800e, even when I print them at 12x18 inches and above. For my shooting style I don't need VR as my low shutter speed shots are from a tripod and my sports shots are at shutter speeds that make VR unimportant. I've never found any reason to upgrade to the 70-200/2.8.

The only upgrade I've considered is the Sigma 120-300/2.8 to give me a little more range for football.

For landscape shooting I would get the new 70-200 f/4 VR Nikkor instead of the f/2.8. I doubt you would miss the extra stop and you would have a smaller lens that would be much more comfortable to handhold.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic Is this an upgrade? [View all] , SonjaM Silver Member , Tue 08-Jan-13 10:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is this an upgrade?