Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is this an upgrade?

blw

Richmond, US
28703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Is this an upgrade?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 08-Jan-13 12:42 PM

The newer lens is a bit better in the corners, and it apparently has less corner fall-off too. I have the 80-200 AFS and have shot it extensively (> 30k frames) on FX and really never found anything to complain about. I upgraded to a 70-200 VR-I only because one came near at a very attractive price. I rarely missed the VR with the 80-200, as I mostly shoot sports with it, where the shutter speed had to be high enough to be amenable anyway. Certainly nobody has noted - even here - "hey good thing you upgraded that one" based on the results.

I would think with landscape work you'd have the same experience, only that you'd probably be shooting slow enough that you'd be on a tripod with either lens.

Of course, the VR-II is a superb lens. I seriously doubt that you'll be disappointed if you get it. On the other hand, I do wonder if you'd find it worth the $1400+ that it will cost to do the upgrade. You can probably sell a mint condition 80-200 for $1000, and the VR-II costs $2400.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Is this an upgrade? [View all] , SonjaM Silver Member , Tue 08-Jan-13 10:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is this an upgrade?