Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Betty L

Oklahoma City, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which lens?"

Betty L Registered since 27th Aug 2012
Mon 07-Jan-13 12:08 AM | edited Mon 07-Jan-13 12:59 AM by Betty L

Good advice, Lee. I went out today and shot with the Sigma 1/50-500 lens of my husband's before I saw your post.

First off, I will post two images I shot today. The house finch was taken in my back yard around 11 a.m., bright sun. But I only got a chance at 2 shots before the birds spotted the howitzer sticking through the door and flew for the hills. That shot is 400 ISO, 1/320, 6.3, Matrix metering. The ISO and Matrix was what the camera was set on from a previous shoot and I forgot to change it.

The heron shot is from a nearby lake. I was disappointed in the Sigma lens because it kept chattering to the point I couldn't get focus. I read the manual sheet before setting out and did all the proper things. Turned off the camera before changing the lens OS to on or off. I tried it both ways. I was shooting on a bean bag through my car window, but rested my hand on the bean bag and cradled the lens in my hand. I figured that qualified for OS. The first 20-30 shots it worked like it should. I waited for the OS to settle after depressing the shutter, then took the shot.
Later on, it began the chattering thing and wouldn't stop, even when I turned the camera off, then turned the OS off, then turned the camera back on. Drove me crazy. I tried manual focus, but my eyes aren't good, too much astigmatism.
Every so often, the lens behaved and I got a dozen or so useful images out of 90. The heron was 1/400, ISO 125, at 450mm, 6.3.

Betty

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

A general, generic topic Which lens? [View all] , Betty L , Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens?