Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which lens?"

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 05-Jan-13 02:07 PM | edited Sat 05-Jan-13 02:19 PM by Leonard62

Good post, Brian. You covered the areas that I can't and that's the Sigma line of super zooms and the super telephotos from Nikon. But this question comes up often and for someone on a budget and using Nikon gear here's what I can show.

First I don't think the AF 80-400mm lens is bad like some people think.

Here's a comparison of three rigs that most people mention. Shot with the D3X at ISO 400.

Left photo . AFS 70-200mm VR II with Nikon TC-20E III. 400mm f5.6
Center photo. AF 80-400mm VR .. 400mm f5.6
Right photo. AFS 300mm f4 with Kenko Pro 300 1.4X . 420 mm f5.6

Click on image to view larger version

All three photos were shot at a distance greater than 100 feet, are 100% crops and were all taken within 5 minutes of each other. Other than sizing there was no post processing. The photo with the AF 80-400mm is clearly sharper.

I have run this comparison a few times in the past and even with the D3200's much higher resolution, the results are always the same. It is very hard to beat the AF 80-400mm lens with other lenses and a TC. The one exception I have found is the AFS 300mm f2.8 VR with the Nikon TC-14E II.

Len

edit: I also used the AFS 300mm f4 with the Nikon TC-14E II but found the shot using the Kenko TC to be slightly sharper so that's what I used in my comparison.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Which lens? [View all] , Betty L , Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens?