Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which lens?"

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002
Sat 05-Jan-13 12:05 AM

I used to use the 80-400mm quite a lot, even for sports. I always found it sharp enough for film or lower MP cameras. It's a good lens, although a little long in the tooth. In low light, it doesn't focus very well at all. I eventually sold it when I purchased the 200-400mm. One of these days, I'm sure Nikon will update with AF-S and nano coating. At that point, I'm positive it will be a stellar alternative. Seeing as you're saving, maybe one will be announced within your time frame.

One option, that I would recommend is to buy an AF-S 300mm f/4 and use with a 1.4TC. This gives you the flexibility and relative lightweight of a telephoto plus the added reach when you need it. The 1.4TC only costs you 1 stop of light and is sharper when attached to the 300mm than the 80-400mm is at 400mm.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

A general, generic topic Which lens? [View all] , Betty L , Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens?