Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Betty L

Oklahoma City, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Which lens?"

Betty L Registered since 27th Aug 2012
Fri 04-Jan-13 11:40 PM

Not sure if I should post this in the lens forum or here. I've been using a Nikon 80-400VR lens with all my DX cameras through the years, and for the most part, been happy with it.
Now that I have the D800, the failings of this lens is magnified.

I would like to get a new lens worthy of this wonderful camera, but am at a loss which way to go. As it is, since I just purchased a new iMac, I'll have to save for a long time to get a new lens. But...I would like to know what I'm saving for!

Please give me recommendations. Things I need to consider is price, I can't afford to buy the very best. I want a zoom. But would consider the new 300mm with TC if it is a good buy and takes sharp images.

I have arthritis in my hands and a bad back, so weight is a consideration, but I find myself walking less than I used to. So a heavier lens on a tripod, only to be carried short distances from the car would work.
This lens would be used for birding. I think I need a fast lens that will work with a TC. I usually shoot in good light, but higher available ISO makes dim light workable. With a full frame camera, most of the lenses you all seem to use are 200-300 at the long end and used with a TC to get the reach needed.

I have the stellar Nikon 105 2.8 VR
24-70 Nikon - wonderful lens
85mm 1.8 Sigma Prime -great portrait lens
80-400 Nikon VR now a stepchild
18-200 DX VR, the only DX lens l have left & a great vacation lens in the past

I don't really need to go wider, as the 24-70 is wide enough for me.
But I do need a good, sharp, fast long lens. It doesn't have to be Nikon, 3rd party is fine if it does the job and is sharp.

Recommendations?

Betty

A general, generic topic Which lens? [View all] , Betty L , Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which lens?