Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does the new 24-85 VR support tripod mode is this a mis...

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Does the new 24-85 VR support tripod mode is this a mistake?"

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 01-Jan-13 08:10 AM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 08:13 AM by briantilley

OK, I think there is some confusion here - it won't be the first time that Nikon's website guys have been the cause of a misunderstanding

The original question was (in my interpretation at least) does the 24-85mm VR Nikkor have Tripod Detection in the same way that the longer "pro" Nikkors do?. The answer to that is no.

You're correct that Adorama have merely copied the wording from the Nikon USA website.

The wording they use appears to be new for this particular lens, and is specific to using VR whilst recording video from a tripod. In the website's sections for other recent lenses with VR II, like the 16-35mm f/4 and the 85mm f/3.5 Micro, that same claim is absent.

We could reach one of several conclusions:

a) the 24-85mm has a different implementation of VR II which can be left on when videoing from a tripod;
b) all VR II (or maybe all VR) Nikkors can have VR left on when videoing from a tripod - but since DSLR video post-dates VR, Nikon are only now getting around to emphasising it;
c) Nikon's technical manual writers are wrong;
d) Nikon's web authors are wrong.

I have no way of telling which may be correct, but my bet is (b). Either way, no-one is saying that the 24-85mm supports the use of VR for still photography on a locked-down tripod in the same way that the longer "pro" Nikkor telephotos do.

Hope that helps!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Does the new 24-85 VR support tripod mode is this a mis... [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Mon 31-Dec-12 12:14 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Does the new 24-85 VR support tripod mode is this a...