Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Oh no not crop factor again!

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2941 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Oh no not crop factor again!"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Fri 28-Dec-12 08:32 PM | edited Sat 29-Dec-12 03:00 AM by Floridian

As for clarification, the 20-35 f2.8 is not nearly as wide (20mm) as the Tokina 11-16 (11mm). The Tokina would be a good choice if you want a WIDE angle, but it does leave the gap between 16mm and 35mm that you mentioned in your first post. If you are concerned about the gap, and don't care to go wider than 20mm, the 20-35 would seem to be a good choice.

(You could close the gap by buying both lenses. It's interesting that Scotty's suggestion and mine (11-16 vs. 20-35) don't overlap at all!)

Note that the 20-35 was discontinued by Nikon in 2001, but a used lens will work just like a new one if it has been taken care of, and perhaps at lower cost. (I don't know what the going price is now on a 20-35.)

If you are thinking 20mm is wide enough, another lens to consider is the 17-55 f2.8 DX lens.

When I think of wide angle on DX, I tend to think in terms of 12mm or wider. Scotty's suggestion is a good one, so I don't disagree with it, but it depends on how wide you want to go with your wide angle. I'd want to go wider than 20mm.

I don't think there's one right answer that applies to everyone, which is why there are so many lenses available, and which is why you won't find very many people who have the exact same set of lenses.

So, from your first post, one thing to consider is, do you really want an f2.8 lens? If the answer is yes, then how wide do you want to go? You can look at the Tokina 11-16, and Nikon 14-24, 17-55, and 20-35. Nikon also makes a 17-35 f2.8. (Am I missing some possibilities?) Consider all of them and see which fits what you're looking for best. And, if you decide you don't need the f2.8, the possibilities expand.

Randy

A general, generic topic Oh no not crop factor again! [View all] , limeyzen Silver Member , Fri 28-Dec-12 01:55 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Oh no not crop factor again!