Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Oh no not crop factor again!

mkbee1

West Valley, US
664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Oh no not crop factor again!"

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:43 PM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 04:45 PM by mkbee1

Hi, Limeyzen;

You have the same questions that many of us have had...is the 35-70 on my DX camera really wide enough for what I would like to do? On your D 90, it gives you the equivalent angle of view as a 50-105 on FX. So, if you do interiors or landscapes regularly, and like the sharp-from-front-to-back photos that Bryan Peterson does so well, probably not. The F/2.8 is a marvelous lens, but, in these days of adjustable ISO, the difference between f/2.8 and f/3.5 is rather moot.

I'm not a real wide-angle person, but I do find the wide end useful every now and again; but for an all-round, excellent lens, my DX 18-70mm AF S is a good one. I think the newer 24-85mm lens would probably do as well.

Lens makers are involved in the art of the "possible"...how to design a lens at a price point that most of us mere mortals can afford. That means there will be some distortion somewhere...guaranteed! But, Who notices? Almost nobody!

Anyhow, the D 90 has a distortion control program built in...Retouch menu...the little brush icon on the left side of the screen then scroll to Distortion control, right under STRAIGHTEN. I think the default is ON.

Ken Rockwell says it doesn't do much,(enough?) but IMO it will correct a lot of what we mostly don't notice anyway, so I leave mine on. If you are a good Photoshop person, there is also a feature there to remove lens aberration.

My idea of a good, do everything kit would be the 18-55,"Kit" lens, or the 18-70, plus a Macro, and the 70-300 VR, or...and I'm dreaming,here, the 70-200 F/4. O My, Yes!

Good Luck!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Oh no not crop factor again! [View all] , limeyzen Silver Member , Fri 28-Dec-12 01:55 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Oh no not crop factor again!