Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: lens Cleaning"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 24-Dec-12 12:20 AM

I'd advise NOT cleaning it after EVERY use. Clean it when it needs it - dust, for example, is easily blown off with a rocket blower and/or with a soft brush. No big deal. But I wouldn't be using a solution or friction in general unless there's something on there that will degrade things. Salt spray? Get it off of there. Other stuff? Not so much.

You will be AMAZED at what does not affect the image. You almost have to try to make something visible. Your water mark, for example, should be invisible except under the most extreme conditions - very bright back light, minimum focus, stopped down to minimum aperture (f/32?), etc - and maybe still invisible even then.

I'd be more religious about using the hood - in which case it's fairly hard for almost anything to get onto the front element in the first place.

Water marks I'd deal with using a drop of distilled water and a lens tissue.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic lens Cleaning [View all] , jfitzg14 Silver Member , Sun 23-Dec-12 06:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: lens Cleaning