Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

18-200mm VRI First Generation vs expensive pro lens

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 18-200mm VRI First Generation vs expensive pro lens"

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Sun 23-Dec-12 02:44 AM

Some of the critics in this thread have said "I'm happy you're happy with your 18-200, but I'm sticking with my 70-200 f2.8, which gives much better image quality." Fair enough. But it's not an "either-or" choice. Our cameras have interchangeable lenses so that we can use the best lens for the present purpose. Often, in my use, the best lens for the situation at hand is the 18-200.

I don't have a 70-200, but I do have an 80-200 f2.8 and several fast primes. And, I'll use them when the situation warrants. But sometimes the size-weight penalty of fast zooms, or the lack of versatility of primes, weighs toward a lens that may not be quite as good, but has the advantage of versatility and portability. Even though I have faster lenses with better image quality, I still use the 18-200 a lot, and the results look good to my eye.

The 18-200 isn't the best lens for anything, but it's a pretty good lens for everything.

Randy

A general, generic topic 18-200mm VRI First Generation vs expensive pro lens [View all] , mjhach Gold Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 11:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 18-200mm VRI First Generation vs expensive pro lens