Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'm Dying Here, Help

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I'm Dying Here, Help"

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 21-Dec-12 09:15 PM

You're already well equipped for portraits, with the 24-70 and especially the 70-200/2.8. The latter is a superb portrait lens, the bokeh is just as good as the 85/1.4, and the subject isolation is actually better. Just be aware that you need a bit more space (minimum focus distance is about 4.5 ft, vs. 3ft with the 85), and of course it weighs more and is 2 stops slower, so in low light it's not so good. So if you're shooting in a controlled situation, i.e. with your lighting setup, or outdoors, the zoom is great. In fact many portrait pros use it. If you're often in low light or crammed spaces, the 85 has the advantage.

As for the macro, I'd go with the 105VR that you already had, or macro lenses from other vendors at 100m or longer, over the 60mm micro. The 60 is a very good lens, but the working distance is very small (distance from lens to subject).

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

A general, generic topic I'm Dying Here, Help [View all] , gheck58 Silver Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 02:23 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I'm Dying Here, Help