Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'm Dying Here, Help

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I'm Dying Here, Help"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:09 PM

Hey Gregg, what a great dilemma! I hate it when all my reasoning and careful consideration has me selling a lens that I later want again.

I'd try to narrow in on this decision starting with shear numbers. Which lens will you use more? If it's the 105, can you do without the loss if income from the 85. Of course you can reverse this and just make it about money, but since photography is also an aesthetic part of your camera usage, I wouldn't sell feeding the passion side too short. If you don't have some fun, it's likely to detract from the money side.

If it is the 105 that wins, many people also use that lens as a portrait lens. You may have to soften some of the images (skin features) and it will require an every-so-slight adjustment in subject to background distances to get the 85mm "isolation" (not bokeh), but it can be done. OTOH, the 24-70 or the 70/85/105m end of the 70-200 are also great for portraits. Subjects are a bit more comfortable if you loose the hoods for that usage, but still works well enough in production portrait usage.

I recently added an 85mm f/1.8G to replace one that I sold (and also regretted) years ago. I use that lens for indoor family candid portraiture and find it to be a great tool and I prefer using it to my 70-200. Optically (and for bokeh) it's more than adequate for my use. It doesn't figure into a significant portion of my lens usage and because of that was definitely the right choice.

Up to this point, I've been considering only FX, but what about the 50mm f/1.4G on the D300 for portraits? If these are formal setting portraits, everything is under your control, the D300 will be perfectly adequate for tonal range, pixel density, camera control and the lens is a very adequate portrait length. If you are worried about perspective, you can always back up a bit and with the D300 you still have adequate cropping allowance for 8x10s, etc.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic I'm Dying Here, Help [View all] , gheck58 Silver Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 02:23 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I'm Dying Here, Help