Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'm Dying Here, Help

mkbee1

West Valley, US
664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: I'm Dying Here, Help"

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012
Fri 21-Dec-12 01:57 PM | edited Fri 21-Dec-12 03:07 PM by mkbee1

Gregg;
Actually, you can do quite well with just your 24-70 and/or the 16-35 plus the 70-200.
I'll bet you use your 50 mm much less than you originally thought, right?

But, a new lens is never a bad thing! And, if you can do "double duty" with one, that is even better, because it is less stuff to carry when you are out in the world!

It depends on how much you like the lens. I had a 105 for my Pentaxes, and loved it. I got my Nikon, and saved for the 105 F/2.5, and hated it from day 1! I traded it for a 75-150 zoom, and never looked back.

I'd vote for the 105 over any other. Macro, portraits, and anything else you wish to do with that focal length will be no problem for it. For Macro, the 105 gives you a bit more working distance, because some critters, wasps in particular, don't like to be crowded.(Don't ask how I know this!)

the 85mm is a magnificent lens, but rather a one-trick pony, IMO.
But,if you just HAVE to have one, I'd suggest the F/1.8 model. The F/1.8 will be as sharp as the 1.4, and doesn't cost as much. With adjustable sensitivity, that exta smidge of an f/stop isn't significant. Nor will ownership of a 1.4 add one millimeter to any of our physical attributes. I know, BLASPHEMY!

The 50mm F/1.8 is a bit sharper than the 1.4 model, but no human can possibly tell the difference, all else being equal! The same is likely true of the 85. There's just a lot of "Gee Whiz" factor there. (Lens envy?)

If you have unlimited funds, lucky you! Buy whatever you like, then take the $$ hit whenever you get that itch for something new. But,if you are like most of us, choose carefully, and learn to use what you have well.

It's the photog,not the equipment!

Good luck!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic I'm Dying Here, Help [View all] , gheck58 Silver Member , Fri 21-Dec-12 02:23 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I'm Dying Here, Help