Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is mid-range zoom a must-have?

MarcG19

Arlington, US
289 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is mid-range zoom a must-have?"

MarcG19 Registered since 16th Apr 2009
Mon 24-Dec-12 10:33 PM | edited Mon 24-Dec-12 10:38 PM by MarcG19

Done the full gamut on this question (with the exception of f/2.8 mid range zooms).

Started out with a kit lens. (18-70 on D70) Took that several places in Europe as well as places locally in the US, usually with a wide zoom and a 70-300VR. All in a big lowepro fanny pack.

Moved to 18-200. Took roughly around 10K pictures with this and brought it all around Europe, Australia, and Asia. Also brought a wide zoom with me. All this went into a lower fanny pack or a belt+lens carrier that, with 2-3 large lenses and accessory bags, made me look like I was in the army.

Got tired of the 18-200 and people talked me into the idea that the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses were as good, perhaps better. (they certainly were cheaper together - $200 refurbed). I went that way and didn't look back. At this time I stopped carrying a wide zoom for "walk around" unless I was scouting for landscape photography (which I still consider my favorite form of photography). I was sick of the fanny pack/looking like I'm in the army, and I put the unmounted lens into a pants cargo pocket, and so I could go with just the camera holster.

Finally, I dumped Nikon DX for micro 4/3, at least for walk around. I also did a lot of rationalization. For the past several months, I've only carried around a 28mm equivalent lens (tiny, cheap), a 50mm equivalent f/0.95 manual focus lens (stellar performer, focus peaking and live view magnification meant I didn't miss AF) as well as a 120mm equivalent f/2.8 macro. I found these three were plenty for all of the "travel"/"street"/walk-around photography I did in my past several months in Asia. And they all are very-to-phenomenally sharp compared to the lenses I had before, and much much lighter. The unmounted lenses either can fit into trouser pockets or a dorky little compact camera pouch I got in Asia (which I have no shame in wearing).

YMMV. If I decide to go FX, I probably would replicate the more recent setup (28mm AF-S, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D just because I have it, 135mm MF).

Cheers,

Marc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"90% of my best life's work could have been made with a manual body, a 24mm lens, and a telephoto zoom in the 80-200 range"
- Galen Rowell
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a hot, active topic! Is mid-range zoom a must-have? [View all] , JCY88 , Mon 10-Dec-12 08:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is mid-range zoom a must-have?