Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Macro Lens Recommendation

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Macro Lens Recommendation"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 09-Dec-12 08:16 PM

You're making a good choice with the Nikon 105.

With the FX bodies, it doubles as a very good portrait lens. That's where the VR and f/2.8 add value.

The Nikon 105 also works with Nikon teleconverters effectively allowing you more working distance or magnification as the situation requires. The other advantage of a teleconverter is to control your background - either to soften the out of focus area or to line up the subject with a particular background.

In terms of flexibility, the 105mm focal length is nice in that it can be used with extension tubes for more magnification or closer focus, and close up diopters.

The final positive is the 105 packs nicely so I carry it with me even if I have no plans for macro. In contrast, some of the longer macro lenses are a little harder to pack.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A topic tagged as someone looking for information Macro Lens Recommendation [View all] , KennyE Silver Member , Sun 09-Dec-12 12:00 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Macro Lens Recommendation