Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

my 18-200mm lens has problem

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5265 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: my 18-200mm lens has problem"

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Fri 23-Nov-12 09:35 AM

Hi!

Back in my DX days, I was a heavy 18-200 user (first version). As others have pointed out, f/5.6 is not really very wide open, and mine also did have problems locking AF beyond 150mm, with some hunting.

But it was a consistent "non-problem" from the start: it did that as soon as I was not in bright daylight, and it is not a problem that "developped" over time. Maybe you're starting to shoot in the more interesting lights of early morning/late afternoon? That could be an explanation. Usually, as you note, closer objects are better illuminated and more contrasted, making the job of the AF really much easier than on more distant ones - and zooming back is the only solution, in order to regain a more friendly f-stop that will allow more light to reach the AF sensors.

A simple test/remedy, also, is to try with the center sensor: on most cameras, it will be a cross-type one, more sensitive than the linear ones in the periphery: on the D300 I owned, the three center columns of AF points were cross-type sensors, if I am not mistaken, and thus less prone to hunting in not-so-good lighting conditions.

If it can soothe your "pain", my 28-300 (yes, I like those "do-it-all lenses"!) does also do that in the same conditions on my D700. Using a faster lens such as the 80-200/2.8 or the 85/1.8 is also a remedy: since the lenses are wide open when composing the image and focusing, more light reaches the sensors and AF is really quicker! Calculating the figures, at 200 and f/5.6, the AF sensors get 4 times less light than at 200 and f/2.8, since the amount of light entering the lens doubles with every full f-stop: f/2.8 is twice as luminous as f/4, which in turn is twice as luminous as f/5.6.

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

A general, generic topic my 18-200mm lens has problem [View all] , burchan Silver Member , Thu 22-Nov-12 06:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: my 18-200mm lens has problem