Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is VR critical for WA lens?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sun 18-Nov-12 11:41 PM | edited Sun 18-Nov-12 11:46 PM by Drbee

So I guess from the answers here there are lots of truths. What you are witnessing is that lots of different shooting styles and situations result in different lens requirements.

I don't know if my shooting situation is unique, but I'll reiterate that I find VR very useful in my travel photography. The reason is that moving subjects are typically not a consideration in that kind of photography for me; whereas dark interiors, crowds, quick setup times, and even darker museums, churches, landmarks and mosques are typical. A UWA option is useful to get the image once you force your way to the front of the crowd. The f/4 aperture is a nice aperture to deliver a good DOF for an UWA image and the VR in effect provides a more stable platform where tripods are just not possible. In these situations, it's not uncommon for me to be shooting at ISO1600-3200 and shutter speeds of 1/15s or lower for the extreme cases.

There are also those situations where the lighting is a bit better and I can get the picture with my lenses without VR, but my 16-35 has opened up so many more possibilities that I'm really happy to have it and VR is not a detriment.

OTOH, I have a Fujifilm X100 with a fixed 35mm f/2 lens and I'm often shooting that at ISO1600-3200, f/2 and T=1/8s (sometimes longer) and it does not have VR. However it also has a leaf shutter, fits my hand well, is smallish and can be easily balanced on some rigid prop or like Bob - against my forehead leaning against a wall. Good technique is always handy. You've got to know your application.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Is VR critical for WA lens? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 17-Nov-12 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?
Reply message You tell me....
Reply message RE: You tell me....