Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is VR critical for WA lens?

robsb

San Jose, US
14954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 18-Nov-12 09:54 PM

I agree with the general sentiment here. I only own one VR lens (my 70-200 VR), and I use a 17-35 f/2.8 zoom for my go to WA lens. It has no VR and I have never felt I needed it. Now I do have a D700 which allows me to shoot at high ISO and with practice I am often able to hand hold down to 1/8 sec using simple tricks like bracing myself or shooting a burst of shots and picking the one without movement. Even on my 70-200 VR, I rarely use the VR function as it is basically useless at high shutter speeds. If you are shooting in situation where you need a slow shutter speed, then it can help, but your subject needs to be mostly static as any movement at really low speeds is going to show as blur, unless that is what you are going for.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

A general, generic topic Is VR critical for WA lens? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 17-Nov-12 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?
Reply message You tell me....
Reply message RE: You tell me....