Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is VR critical for WA lens?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10530 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sun 18-Nov-12 12:19 PM

I've got the 16-35 and have had a few situations where VR is critical.

The primary situation is for landscape images where a tripod does not provide stability or can't be used. For me, shooting a landscape image from a boat in the Okefenokee is a typical situation. The only options are from a canoe or a flat bottom boat. Sunset images are from a boat - usually with other people. It is impossible to be completely still, and a wider aperture is not a solution. VR makes a big difference.

I do a lot of stream photography, and tripod legs in moving water don't provide complete stability. There is always a bit of vibration from the fast moving water. VR helps these images to be sharp even at shutter speeds slow enough to blur the water. I'm not sure of the limit of VR, but at the slow end I'm using it at 2 second exposures. It's also stream photography with the Vari-N-Duo where I need the filter threads on the 16-35.

Another situation is a bit of a compromise. Sometimes you cannot get the elevation needed for an image. I've actually used a tripod held at arms length above my head to get a better perspective. VR allows this extreme handholding situation to produce usable images. The wide angle provides some forgiveness in framing.

The final situation is in places that prohibit tripods. I have some interior images from churches in Italy that would not be possible without VR.

All these situations probably account for less than 5% of my images so VR is not critical overall. But it sure is nice for certain situations.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Is VR critical for WA lens? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 17-Nov-12 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?
Reply message You tell me....
Reply message RE: You tell me....