Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is VR critical for WA lens?

blw

Richmond, US
28552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 18-Nov-12 11:18 AM

Depends on your application. If you haunt museums, where normal policy is minimal light even by human eye standards, tripods and flash are nearly always prohibited, polarizers are often useful, and where subjects typically don't move much if at all, VR might well be viewed as critical, even for a wide angle. On the other hand, if you use your WA to shoot, for example, skateboarding, I seriously doubt that you'll ever get the shutter speed down low enough for VR to come into play even if you're panning. In that case it would be more of a hindrance than help, let alone critical.

One thing to remember is that apparent camera motion is magnified - or, in this case, minimized - by the magnification of the lens. Wide angles minimize it, as reflected in the 1/focal length-ish rules of thumb. Clearly 1/16 is more achievable than, say, the 1/500 required for a big telephoto.

And at least in my opinion - I know many think this is not true - VR just doesn't help much below about 1/5th, no matter how short the focal length. VR-II claims four stops improvement, which in theory says 1/15 -> 1/8 -> 1/4 -> 1/2 -> 1 sec, but I seriously doubt that almost any 1 sec hand-held shots are going to be critically usable, even with VR-II. So VR is really only going to get one or maybe two stops at the wide end of this lens, even if VR would have been helpful in the other senses (eg non-moving subjects).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Is VR critical for WA lens? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 17-Nov-12 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?
Reply message You tell me....
Reply message RE: You tell me....