Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is VR critical for WA lens?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sun 18-Nov-12 02:43 AM

I don't think VR is as critical for a WA especially since the laws of physics still prevail and the sensors are increasingly more sensitive. I have the following non-VR WA lenses and I don't miss VR on those: 24mm f/2.8 AIS/AFD, 28mm f/2 AIS, 35mm f/2 AIS/AFD & 35mm f/1.4 AFS.

I do have the 16-35mm f/4 AFS VRII and I'm extremely happy that it has VR and that's the primary reason I bought the lens. This is my travel, WA landscape and urban walk-about lens. It often is used in low light, interiors, after-dark walks, etc. Weight for me is an issue with extended travel. The fact that this particular lens includes the 35mm focal length makes it an ideal choice for this role. With VR, the f/4 aperture is not a detriment and f/4 is a logical choice for many of these images. Action is typically not an issue so again a larger aperture/higher shutter speed battle is not frequent.

So for my usage, this combination of aperture, size, focal-length range, VR and image quality makes sense and VR is the central feature that makes it a best choice for me. Not all users will see their needs met by this lens.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Is VR critical for WA lens? [View all] , JCY88 , Sat 17-Nov-12 10:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is VR critical for WA lens?
Reply message You tell me....
Reply message RE: You tell me....