Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rattle - 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens

jcotto

Boulder, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Rattle - 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens"

jcotto Registered since 03rd Nov 2012
Thu 15-Nov-12 06:28 PM

I purchased a used 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens in March of this year. I used it several times, and had excellent images. I used it hand-held to shoot sandhill cranes in March.

I upgraded to a (used) 400mm lens, and now want to sell the 300mm lens.

When taking photos for display, I noticed a rattle in the interior of the lens. The hood is not attached; the slip-in filter is not the cause nor is the rear lens cap.

When holding the lens horizontal, tipping it slightly back and forth off horizontal produces the rattle. It is very reproducible.

It does not appear to be in the manual focus ring, which moves smoothly throughout the entire range of focus.

I do not recall whether or not I heard this noise when I used the lens. It was new to me, and I was more intent on capturing the images, especially panning for BIF.

Is this "normal" for this lens? I do not want to put the lens up for sale if there is a problem with it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Rattle - 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens [View all] , jcotto , Thu 15-Nov-12 05:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Rattle - 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens
Reply message RE: Rattle - 300mm f/2.8 AF-S II lens