Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D80 upgrade "

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 15-Nov-12 07:32 PM

>I have invested in a good Manifrotto tripod and ballhead and
>remote.

That's good. I'd suggest you fill in the equipment section of your profile so we don't have to guess at what you're working with.

>Since landscape doesn't require higher ISOs or fast
>lenses, it comes down to what wide angle lens will produce the
>sharpest picture from edge to edge, right? Any suggestions
>along those lines?

Luckily for landscapes you're shooting at small-ish apertures (f/8-f/16) which tends to equalize issues with lens performance, so you don't really need best-of-the-best to get excellent results. The question of which ultra-wide will be tied to your question of FX or DX.

On the DX side I consider the Nikkor 10-24 to be the best option, but there are some excellent choices sub-$500 like the Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24.

On FX I think the most reasonable choices boil down to Nikkor 16-35 f/4 vs. Tokina 17-35 f/4.

>Even though I travel a lot, living in Lancaster County, PA we
>have a lot of scenic views right here at home.

Indeed that's ideal, no matter where you are, to appreciate what's around you every day. It helps to be in a nice area too

>P.S. I love your Pigeon Point Lighthouse HDR photo. It's
>magical.

Thanks!

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic D80 upgrade [View all] , bluerose , Wed 14-Nov-12 07:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D80 upgrade