Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D80 upgrade "

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 15-Nov-12 05:33 PM

I may be a contrarian here, but I think the D80 is a perfectly fine camera for serious landscape shooting. Are today's cameras better? Yes, in subtle ways, but if you're looking for best bang for a limited buck, specifically to improving your landscape photography, it might not be the best place to start.

Equipment-wise, landscape photography will want an excellent tripod, ballhead, remote release, and a complement of lenses from ultra-wide to telephoto. Past that, experience will be your greatest asset to improving your images, and that probably means some amount of travel budgeted in as well.

Just adding a good tripod, ballhead, and ultra-wide lens to your kit, along with a good backpack, will probably set you back minimum $1000, and that's on the conservative side. If you go the D600 route, the conservative approach is probably pushing $5000 ($2000 body, $700 tripod+head, $1200 ultra-wide, $700 mid-range zoom, $200 backpack).

I don't know where your budget actually stands. I'd certainly prefer the D600 kit to the D80 kit, but if that doesn't leave you enough money to get out to some great locations to shoot, then it's not really a path to serious photography, just to buying more equipment.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic D80 upgrade [View all] , bluerose , Wed 14-Nov-12 07:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D80 upgrade