Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Home Lens Tests"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 05-Nov-12 06:03 PM

I too am surprised that Mup was decidedly helpful at 1/800s and 105mm focal length on a tripod. But then if you are using a 190 series Manfrotto, per your profile, maybe not.

I would personally not recommend that particular class tripod for that camera, but then again I've seen many 190 owners insist it is perfectly fine at modest focal lengths (and 100mm is usually considered to be around the upper end of fairly "modest" as these things go).

I think it would be interesting to see 100% crops of some of these images illustrating the point. It would be even better posted to the tripod forum, where the subject of which tripod and how much a tripod helps with various gear is often hotly debated.

I'm not criticizing your tripod and you very likely bought it for much less demanding configurations. Just suggesting that your results are important in terms of all the gear decisions we make (and squabble over!), and all the pixel peeping that goes on with lenses, perhaps too often without regard for the points you are making.

It would also be interesting to see others try to reproduce your findings, with a 190 tripod and also other tripods. I have not seen a lot of in depth discussion - with real test data, not opinions - of the issue of the D800 and what it really takes to get the utmost from the investment in not only that but the high end lenses that typically accompany it.

Same would be true of the D3200 but I suspect there we may need to see that sensor migrate to the more advanced bodies more typically used by those that have an interest in such things. Simply because I don't see much if any, discussion from advanced users that have bought that camera.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Home Lens Tests [View all] , jamesvoortman Silver Member , Sat 03-Nov-12 07:59 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Home Lens Tests