Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

300mm f2.8 AF-S question

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 300mm f2.8 AF-S question"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sat 03-Nov-12 09:27 AM

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!

I have the AFSII version. VR is believed not to be effective with shutter speeds faster than 1/500s and may even be counterproductive (typical advice is to turn it off at faster speeds).

Where it might come in handy for you is slow shutter speeds where you are trying to capture very motion blurred backgrounds. Or very dull dark days where you can't get the shutter speeds you'd like. But then your D4 is supposed to turn night into day .

VR is also very helpful for handheld work under 1/500s but you indicate you will be using a monopod, which I would highly recommend.

Personally I'd pay a thousand bucks for VR on that lens, but I would not pay double. I suspect a VR version would be closer to double than just another thousand (I'm not up on used prices for the VR version).

I think it would help at the margins but I don't think for your purposes it should be a game changer as long as you learn good long lens technique and practice a lot.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic 300mm f2.8 AF-S question [View all] , MAD66 , Fri 02-Nov-12 10:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 300mm f2.8 AF-S question