Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

85mm opinions needed

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 85mm opinions needed"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sat 03-Nov-12 09:44 PM

Hi George,

I've been watching this thread but staying out of it because I shoot FX and your profile indicates DX. Plus I haven't really seen how you intend to use the lens so I'm going to assume classical portraiture. I'm glad Brian added the technical details because I think the 85mm f/1.8 AFS is a great addition in the right situations.

I used the 85mm f/1.8 AFD on a D200 and decided the focal length didn't suit me on a DX camera. I found that the shorter end of my 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS actually produced better portrait results, but that lens is intimidating for most subjects.

I recently added the 85mm f/1.8 AFS to my FX D700 and find it to be a good match and I like it's rendering. I've used it occasionally on my DX D2Hs, but I still find it a bit awkward focal length for my preference.

So much for that, have you thought about whether you will use the lens at it's f/1.4-f/2.0 sweet spot? At f/1.4 the lens is very critical about it's focus point. Much of that incredible bokeh you see illustrated comes from FX cameras at those apertures.

My first experience with the f/1.4 AFD was on a DX camera. The results were excellent. However, to achieve that bokeh I had to "extend" the subject to background distance and with the 125mm effective FOV, I just plain ran out of room in my typical shooting venues before I could reliably get that look.

The suggestion to try one in your actual shooting situation is likely your best bet.

Just another thought.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! 85mm opinions needed [View all] , gbowen Gold Member , Fri 02-Nov-12 09:58 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 85mm opinions needed