Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 but what lens

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D600 but what lens "

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sun 04-Nov-12 06:40 AM

I spend a lot of time on wilderness backpacking trips. For me, the extra 35mm is worthwhile if it means I only need to carry one lens instead of two. In mountainous terrain the extra focal length allows you to pick out features. In the past I occasionally got some great landscapes shooting my old 28-105 AF-D lens at full stretch with Velvia. Horses for courses, On a D600/D800 the 24-120 suits my needs better.

I'm guessing with the old medium format you would have used only fixed focal length lenses? Putting focal lengths in context, on the 35mm (FX) format of the D600, a 28mm lens is conventional wide angle (I've always preferred 24mm for landscapes though) a 50mm gives normal visual field of view, 85mm for portraiture. Nikon makes fast and very fast primes in all these focal lengths if you prefer to stick with primes.

On the D600, the 24-85mm kit lens is a cut above the kit lenses offered with entry level DSLRs and also covers a wider range at the wide end than the conventional kit lenses. (18-55 normal kit lenses on DX bodies is equivalent to 27- 82 field of view in FX terms). If you buy the lens with the camera as a kit, it will be less expensive than buying it separately.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

A general, generic topic D600 but what lens [View all] , Johnk44 , Thu 01-Nov-12 06:24 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 but what lens