Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 but what lens

blw

Richmond, US
28578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D600 but what lens "

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 07:35 AM

You really have no reference points? (And no lenses?) I would think that even if you're switching from Canon or Pentax or something you would have some notion of which lenses you used to use.

If this really is your first DSLR and you really don't have any lenses or any experience with lenses, I'd start with the kit lens, the 24-85 AFS VR. It does a good job with landscapes, general family stuff, etc. While I shoot a lot of motorsports, I've never been to the Melbourne event. But I'd guess that you'll want at least a 70-300 AFS VR if not something longer - probably something like a Sigma 150-500 HSM OS or 50-500 HSM OS. In your position I'd rent for this purpose as this is a $1000-$2000 investment and it doesn't seem that you're so focused on this sort of photography that it would warrant a permanent investment.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic D600 but what lens [View all] , Johnk44 , Thu 01-Nov-12 06:24 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 but what lens