Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DX lens vs FX lens on DX camera

Chris Platt

Newburg, US
481 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: DX lens vs FX lens on DX camera"

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012
Thu 01-Nov-12 04:51 PM

The only caveat I would add to the explanations above it that it is useful to take the crop factor into account when selecting shutter speeds for hand-held shots - i.e., 1/focal length. When using a 200mm lens on a 35mm format, you should choose a shutter speed of 1/200 or higher.

That rule of thumb is based on 35mm formats. If the sensor is cropping down the image to an angle of view that would be achieved with a lens 1.5 times the focal length you're using, then you should pick a faster shutter speed for hand-held shots. When hand-holding a 1.5 crop camera with a 200mm lens, you should ensure a shutter speed that is 1/300 or higher.

Visit my gallery.

A general, generic topic DX lens vs FX lens on DX camera [View all] , burchan Silver Member , Wed 31-Oct-12 07:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX lens vs FX lens on DX camera