Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF "

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 12:38 PM

Sorry to be confrontational, but there are few aspects of motorsport that require a faster lens than a normal screwdriver AF lens on a fast body. Unless one is talking about the 200/f4 Micro, they're all fast enough - "useless" is absolutely not a word I agree with. I have done the experiment, and it is straightforward to shoot motorsport with lenses such as the 70-300/f4-5.6 AF D ED - on a D100. I've even done it with the Tamron 90/f2.8 AFD Macro and the 200/f4 AFD Micro-Nikkor.

As I said, I don't shoot hockey, but I do know motorsport reasonably well. With the possible exception of one specific type of shot, I am 100% confident that a D3 with a 300/f2.8 AF D will get all of the motorsports shots. The single exception is on a full speed straight with the car coming almost directly at the camera - that one is pretty tough, although frankly I think it will get that one too. It's more a matter of the AF system than the lens, since the D2x does NOT get that shot even with the 400/f2.8 AFS, which is the fastest focusing lens I know of. See this thread for pictorial evidence.

Again, I don't know that hockey is the same as motorsport. But the assertion that screwdriver AF is too slow for motorsport is not correct.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as in need of help Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF [View all] , Maiki77 , Wed 31-Oct-12 01:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF