Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF "

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 08:53 AM

It's been a long time since I've used the 300/f2.8 AF, but I don't remember it being particularly sluggish on an F5 - the D3 is not slower than the F5, although I doubt it's much faster either. (Not in this department, anyway.)

I've only used the 120-300/f2.8 on D3 and D2x cameras, so my experience is not entirely comparable. My impression is that the 120-300 is a bit quicker focusing than the screwdriver 300/f2.8, and certainly not as fast as the more recent 300/f2.8 AFS VR-I (or, presumably, VR-II). Still, I see this one used regularly for motorsports, and I borrowed one once to shoot dog trials and baseball - I never thought about focus speed. Ever.

I don't shoot hockey, but I don't imagine that it would be too much different than baseball, in that you have relatively known or predictable focus targets, followed by a 100+mph "warp" to another, somewhat less predictable focus target. I'd guess that either of these lenses will do the job on a D3 or other top pro camera (CAM2000 or CAM3500). If anything, I would think that hockey is a little easier as the backgrounds are often the white ice, so the AF systems have an easier time getting contrast, and that would tend to minimize the effect of an AF hunt.

If it were me, I'd probably go for the zoom - it's a LOT more flexible.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as in need of help Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF [View all] , Maiki77 , Wed 31-Oct-12 01:58 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor AF 300mm /2.8 ED-IF