Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto?

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
benveniste

Boston Area, US
10290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto?"

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Mon 29-Oct-12 11:31 PM

I know G lenses doesn't have aperture ring so wonder if for my purpose the D version are better.

I'd recommend against a "G" lens for this purpose since you'd need to rig something up to hold open the aperture control coupling lever while the lens is reversed.

I also recommend reversing an f/1.8 or f/2 instead of an f/1.4 not because of distortion, but because the slower primes have a slightly flatter field of focus. So if you want an f/1.4 lens for day-to-day use, consider buying a manual focus 50mm f/1.8 to reverse.

The D600 can control the aperture on a "D" lens, and in fact that's the default setting. When using a lens with an aperture ring on the D600 in this manner, you set the aperture ring to the minimum aperture; AF lenses have a switch or lever allowing you to lock the ring at this setting.

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

This topic has been locked by a team member Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto? [View all] , alphavax , Mon 29-Oct-12 07:55 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto?
Reply message RE: Best 50mm lens for reversing with telephoto?