Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best walk-around lens for film on an F100?

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Best walk-around lens for film on an F100?"

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Fri 11-Jan-13 05:46 PM | edited Fri 11-Jan-13 05:49 PM by torwood

When I shot film, I used the 28-105 on my N80. If/when I finally get an FX DSLR, I'll probably begin using that lens again to avoid having to buy a new normal zoom (my DX normal zoom is the DX16-85, which is no good on FX).

If I didn't already have the 28-105, and I were buying a "walk-around" zoom for film or FX, it would be the newer 24-120 f4 VR. I'd trade my 28-105 for it for the following reasons:

1. VR is nice to have when traveling and shooting inside buildings.
2. The 24mm wide end is noticeably wider than 28mm
3. 120mm is a little longer than 105mm
4. AFS focuses much faster and more accurately than AFD, and tracks motion better

The 28-105 has about the least amount of distortion of any Nikon standard zoom they've ever made, so it has an advantage there. AFS and VR (the only real new lens mechanical technology found in today's lenses) will both work fine on an F100. You can set the aperture on the camera with an F100, so G lenses work fine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Best walk-around lens for film on an F100? [View all] , William Rounds Gold Member , Mon 22-Oct-12 10:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best walk-around lens for film on an F100?