Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which 50mm for the D600?

blw

Richmond, US
28578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Which 50mm for the D600?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 11:56 PM

> I wonder if it makes a difference choosing between D or G version of any of the 1.4 or 1.8 50mm lens when using the lens reversed and coupled with a telephoto lens for macro photography.

As I think you know, the G lenses are hard to control aperture-wise, so when they're reversed you'd need to make special arrangements to keep its aperture open. Although not exactly rocket science, this is just something else to worry about with a G that you don't have to hassle with using a D lens - so I'd go with the D for that reason alone.

> I read at kenrockwell.com that the 50mm f1.4G was faster in AF but had worst distortion than 1.4D.

Are you sure you read that properly? The 50/f1.4 AFS G is the slowest AF of all of the 50mm's. None of them are quick, but the 1.4 AFS is the least quick.

As far as distortion goes, it's not a big deal. It's far less bad than many other lenses, and these days with software being what it is, virtually ALL lenses have a fair amount of optical distortion, field curvature and corner fall-off. I'm pretty sure that the designers are allowing those to creep in so that they can get other things - that cannot be accommodated in software. Even top-flight lenses such as the Nikon 24-70/f2.8 AFS and 70-200/f2.8 AFS have pretty noticeable optical distortion, to say nothing of the wider range models such as the 28-300 and 18-200. Even the prime 60/f2.8 AFS Micro has a surprising amount of field curvature and a little distortion.

Finally, the 50/f1.4 D and 50/f1.8 D have pretty minimal distortion, so even if that site is correct in saying that the 50/f1.4 G has worse distortion, that doesn't tell you very much. More distortion than "not very much" is not a very useful statement...

> For my intented use of the 50mm makes sense to spend more in the 1.4 version instead of 1.8?

I sure can't see it. For macro work you will be opening the reversed lens up, and while I'm not intimately familiar with the 50/f1.4 D, I do know that it isn't sharper than the 1.8 when both are wide open. But then again, that's with the light going in the usual direction; I sure don't know anything at all about how either of them work reversed. (I can't find the optical diagram at the moment, but I am pretty certain it's not one of the symmetric formulas.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Which 50mm for the D600? [View all] , stash Gold Member , Mon 22-Oct-12 10:15 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which 50mm for the D600?