Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

300mm F4 Grey Market - Would you do it?

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 300mm F4 Grey Market - Would you do it?"

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Sat 13-Oct-12 04:41 AM | edited Sat 13-Oct-12 04:43 AM by torwood

I have several grey market lenses, but they are older, non VR or AFS lenses. Not a problem with any (knock on wood). Assuming you understand all of the practical implications of grey market, my personal rules of thumb for grey market are:

1. Won't buy a grey digital body - too many things can break or go wrong. But, in the film days, I did buy a grey body, which was perfect for years.

2. Won't buy a grey VR lens - VR breaks sometimes.

3. Would definitely buy a grey prime non AFS lens if the savings was 8-10% or more.

4. Would possibly buy a grey prime/zoom AFS lens if the savings was 10% or more.

In the case of the 300 f4, I'd buy the grey version and put the $250 in your pocket. Nikon AFS motors don't fail that often, especially if you're not a working pro. If it were me, I'd roll the dice and hope for five good years. After that, someone, even Nikon, will repair your lens (I know others who have had it done). If not, Nikon in Canada will do it.

Tom's point about resale is valid - if you resale your gear. But, think, if you keep the lens for 10 years, and Nikon has replaced it with a 300 f4 VR, what will a USA version be worth, $500? Will you really get $250 less for your grey version? Just my opinion, but I doubt it. I don't really think of camera equipment as an investment.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question 300mm F4 Grey Market - Would you do it? [View all] , Cmudogtag , Thu 11-Oct-12 03:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 300mm F4 Grey Market - Would you do it?