Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long lens decision

jrp

San Pedro Garza GarcĂ­a, MX
38661 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Long lens decision"

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Tue 09-Oct-12 10:09 AM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 10:35 AM by jrp

A friend of mine just asked me the same question last week because we do have a mutual friend with an eco-ranch where he is raising mountain goats and rams, among other mammals.

Although not at that ranch, I've had the opportunity to use the 200-400 f/4, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 in several occasions over the last two years. So this was an opportunity to gather my notes.

My initial preferences were torn between the 200-400 and the 400, both with and without the TC-14E and TC-17E II, with the 200-400 giving me flexibility and the 400 the most luminosity or speed.

Nikonians semi-pros and pros -with a sizeable budget- own both the 200-400mm f/4 zoom and the 600mm f/4, skipping the 400mm f/2.8 and the 500mm f/4.

To my own surprise, thinking of a single super-telephoto, my personal favorite ended up being the 500mm f/4 both when on DX and FX, with and without the TC-17E II. Just as other Nikonians recommended me before.

It is $1,000 USD less and weights 26 oz less than the 400mm, with an additional 100mm of 'native' focal length.
Plus its sharpness and color rendition is at par with the other three lenses when on a D2X and D700, shooting from a MAGICA 3.3.

Both my friend and me will be buying the 500mm. Surely him sooner
In the meantime I have updated my wish list while still saving and hoping we won't be needing new servers soon.

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

A topic tagged as having a question Long lens decision [View all] , jmascharka Silver Member , Tue 25-Sep-12 09:59 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Long lens decision