Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long lens decision

blw

Richmond, US
28573 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Long lens decision"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 25-Sep-12 12:20 PM | edited Tue 25-Sep-12 12:24 PM by blw

How about the 400/f2.8 + TC-20eIII? (And the 800 is NOT released yet.) I use the above combination routinely and so far nobody's asked me to back off to a better TC or lens. IMHO the TC-20eIII matches up better with the 400/f2.8 than any of the other lenses, although admittedly we haven't tried the 600/f4 seriously as we can't get it to AF with the 20eIII. Not up to racing work, anyway. I assume it'll work better than with my obsolete D3, though.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

In #2, the driver has a clear face mask, and at 100% zoom it resolved eyelashes - at what Google Maps tells me is 290 feet distance. On a mere 12mp D3. I have no idea what the combination could do on a D800e, but I sure don't expect it to be worse than this.

BTW both of these probably could be sharper. They were shot at 1/200th or 1/250th to ensure some motion blur in the wheels. I'm pretty experienced shooting 800mm at low speed from a monopod, and these certainly don't look bad, but if one is really going for the sharpness gold, I'm pretty sure that a locked down tripod, mirror up and a remote will be better than either of these.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A topic tagged as having a question Long lens decision [View all] , jmascharka Silver Member , Tue 25-Sep-12 09:59 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Long lens decision