Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 70-200mm VR1 OR Sigma 70-200mm HSM OS

DavidHarsay

Fort Myers, US
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon 70-200mm VR1 OR Sigma 70-200mm HSM OS"

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012
Mon 17-Sep-12 03:22 PM | edited Mon 17-Sep-12 03:25 PM by DavidHarsay

I have the Nikon VR-1 on the D700, and I can't imagine why I would switch to a Sigma version. Depends on what's important to you. You may not be able to find a new VR-1, but there are plenty of nice used ones for sale, and they hold their value.

If there was a big price difference (I don't think there is any)... and if I ran a photography school or if I had a staff of reporters, I may save some money with pallet of Sigma lenses, which are pretty darn good. But I would loose out when it came time to re-sell.

I don't have any CA on the fringes like I did with the 70-300.

If I turn off vignette control on the D700, you can notice a little bit at 200mm, but none with a TC... and with a good Nikkor TC it's always sharp edge to edge.

The VR-1 so super sharp in the center that it may seem a little soft in the corners to some, but I'm not convinced that it can be noticed except for tight corner crops from 200mm images, and only at f/2.8. The VR-2 is very sharp corner to corner, and so is the VR-1 with a Nikkor TCII such as the 1.4 or 1.7 or 2.0.

I have considered the VR-2, but the $600 difference isn't there. I can probably fit a VR-2 with a TC on the body in my gear bag, but the VR-1 is a little bit longer, so I can't.

For any aftermarket non-OEM lenses, always make sure that the particular serial number of the Sigma lens is compatible with the new cameras (if it was manufactured before a D7000 it will not work properly for example), and we're usually forced to buy used because they don't hold their value.

The Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 is my favorite lens. Beautiful pictures, much better than real life.

A general, generic topic Nikon 70-200mm VR1 OR Sigma 70-200mm HSM OS [View all] , vikuswhite , Sat 15-Sep-12 12:59 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 70-200mm VR1 OR Sigma 70-200mm HSM OS