Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

70-300 VR review and test shots

retzius75

Los Angeles, US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"70-300 VR review and test shots"

retzius75 Registered since 08th Jul 2012
Sun 09-Sep-12 08:46 PM

I picked up a new copy of the 70-300 VR this week and had a chance to give it a quick test. I originally bought this lens back in early 2007 and then recently sold it to try something different. I liked my first copy of this lens but wasn't really thrilled with it. To make a long story short, I decided to go back to the 70-300 VR and picked up a new copy a few days ago.

I'm not sure if Nikon make continual updates to lenses as coatings and manufacturing technology improves but this new copy is a cracker of a lens. It is very sharp, focuses quickly and silently, has a nice firm but smooth zoom ring, and the VR is noticeably quieter than on my early copy.

Here are a couple of sample I shots I took this weekend at the San Diego Zoo and at LAX:

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

These were both taken hand-held on my D200 with VR on. They have minimal cropping and post processing. Overall, I am thrilled with this latest copy of the 70-300 VR. I will try to post some more images in the future as I know many folks have a hard time deciding between this and the 50-300. One thing I can say is that for me, having instant manual override of the focus is key and I used it all the time when I was taking pictures in the zoo this weekend as glass and mesh barriers can confuse the autofocus of my D200.

Have fun!

A general, generic topic 70-300 VR review and test shots [View all] , retzius75 , Sun 09-Sep-12 06:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 70-300 VR review and test shots