Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

105mm MF vs. 105mm AF

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1002 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 105mm MF vs. 105mm AF"

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Tue 28-Aug-12 07:46 PM

> ...I would have set this up to use enough flash to light the subject, so that I could be using 1/60 - 1/250 shutter speeds. (Depending on focal length, ie 60mm - 105mm - 200mm Micros.) If necessary I'd try to arrange for a Voice Operated Light Stand (TM) (*) to hold both the reflector and possibly secondary flashes, triggered wirelessly from the camera and/or hot shoe. <

Good point and good suggestion. I was limited on space by the models on the table and by the people standing next to me. (The people standing next to me did their best to give me room and not to bu,p me.)

> I tend to shoot butterflies this way. Since I normally shoot this with a D3 I don't mind turning the ISO up to 1600/3200/6400 just to get enough sensitivity, although obviously I didn't go that far with the D2x, nor would I with your D200. <

D200 noise becomes significant over ISO 400.

> I found it tough sledding with the D2x, since it has pretty large AF targets. (Ie 11 targets spread across the frame.) It's relatively straightforward with the D3 and its far smaller AF targets (51 targets concentrated on the center of the frame). <

The D200 has a similar target spread.

Brian: Thank you for the comments. I'll make my decision after i go through the photos.

Mp

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic 105mm MF vs. 105mm AF [View all] , pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Tue 28-Aug-12 01:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 105mm MF vs. 105mm AF