Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2038 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon TCEs"

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Thu 12-Jul-12 01:24 PM | edited Thu 12-Jul-12 01:26 PM by newbird

I have both and primarily used the 1.4 x TCII on my 70-200 VRII because my 2XTCIII made my D200 AF hunting too easily. I now have a D800 and use both as well.

N.B. I bought these TCs primarily for use on my 500 VRII where they perform excellently ( 1.4TC) and very very well (2TC). I have the TC2 III wich is known to be much better than version II.

Quality-wise, there is a visible difference between the two, but it isn't that big and practically disappears at f/8 or when downsizing from 36mp or do some sharpening.

Another point, as you know very well, the 1stop difference means slower shutter speed or increased ISO meaning potentially more blurred image or noiser image. This may be important for some older sensors (like my D200) or when handholding.

I have both and will keep both (useful for both 500 and 70-200). I would personnally say that the quantity of light available in your planned shooting environment and the required max reach are a more important selection criteria than final IQ.

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

A general, generic topic Nikon TCEs [View all] , ajdooley Gold Member , Wed 11-Jul-12 11:10 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon TCEs