Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
geo

Roma, IT
224 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Big Glass AFS"

geo Basic Member
Fri 12-Jan-01 08:36 AM

I think you may be right. Althought, I observe a few MTF tests turned out that the addition of IS to Canon long teles somewhat impaired "pure" optical performances, so it is not said that it is mandatory for everyone to update their pro lenses with such device.
Let me remind you that IS and VR neutralize camera vibes, not subject motion, of course! Also, one should consider whether he can get best results by shooting, say, a 50 ISO film at 1/15 with VR (impaired optical performances?), or rather turn to 200 or 400 ISO film and shoot without VR at 1/60 or 1/125. This considering that it's the lens/film combo that dictates final sharpness, and that if the subject moves, it moves.
I think that if you shoot, say, fashion or reportage hand held (so it will be the AFS zooms and the 300), then VR could be useful. If you shoot, say, nature using a tripod (so it will be the long teles and the occasional converters) maybe you would prefer the best possible optical performance, and not need the VR anyhow, since I bet your 600/4 will not be used hand held...
In other words, I do not think it has been a good idea for Canon to put IS devices in their 400, 500, 600; and this could be the reason Nikon did not followed yet. So, I am not so certain we will see VR everywhere in a short time.
Anyhow, I observe that it is very easy here in Italy to see Nikkor AF-i lenses offered, used and sometimes new, at reasonable prices, since the AF-s lenses came out.

Geo
http://www.infinito.it/utenti/maremmaphoto

A general, generic topic Big Glass AFS [View all] , tall1more , Fri 12-Jan-01 01:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Big Glass AFS