Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Better meter, F100 or F4???

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38678 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Better meter, F100 or F4???"

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Tue 09-Oct-12 08:30 PM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 08:47 PM by jrp

The F4 uses a TTL full-aperture metering system.
Three modes:
• 3D Matrix Metering - Range: EV 0-21
• Center-Weighted Metering (60% sensitivity concentrated on the 12mm diameter circle - Range: EV 0-21
• Spot Metering - Range: EV 2-21 The area metered is represented by the approx. 5mm-diameter circle in the center of the viewfinder

The F100 also uses a TTL full-aperture exposure metering system
With three metering modes:
• 3D Matrix Metering - Range: EV 0-21
• Center-Weighted Metering: Approx. 75% of the meter’s sensitivity concentrated on the 12mm diameter circle - Range: EV 0-21
• Spot Metering: 4mm diameter circle (approx. 1% of entire frame) - Range: EV 3-21

Like you, I never found any difference in performance, even when shooting finicky slide film with no latitude, requiring precise metering in either of the three modes.

Handheld meters with spot metering are usually a 1° meters.
Are the spot meters on the F4 and F100 up to the task for usage of the Zone System?
I would say yes. But I would wait for experienced answers.
I've never used the Zone System. Maybe I was not very interested in it then to dedicate to learn it.
Because of that it took me a few years to understand it

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

A general, generic topic Better meter, F100 or F4??? [View all] , Stradibarrius , Tue 09-Oct-12 04:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Better meter, F100 or F4???